A Regency Occasional Table Attributed to Marsh & Tatham
The rectangular rosewood veneered top inlaid with brass on a tapering chamfered support terminating in six stiff leaf acanthus, raised on a triform base with sophisticated bronze centaur legs showing remnants of gilt decoration.
English, early 19th century.
H:74 W:35 D:46.
Marsh & Tatham a partnership between William Marsh (active 1775-1810) and Thomas Tatham (1763-1818) of a successful firm of cabinet makers and upholsterers based in Mount Street, Mayfair.
The firm carried out major commissions for the Prince of Wales at the Royal Pavilion, Brighton, and at Carlton House. Charles Heathcote Tatham (1772-1842), brother of Thomas, was sent to Rome by the architect Henry Holland (1745-1806) in 1794 to collect Classical fragments. Tatham's drawings of these, published as 'Etchings of Ancient Ornamental Architecture' in 1799-1800, provided Marsh & Tatham with the inspiration for much of their furniture.