An exquisite carved and engraved animal bone Napoleonic mirror.
The whole carved with applied leaves and trumpeting putti pinned to the original pine carcass, the majority made from prisoner produced dominoes as one loose leaf has taught us.
Original pine backboards, faded velvet surround to the later but still 19th century mirror plate.
These mirrors were first produced by sailors, and later by Napoleonic prisoners of war in the port of Dieppe, northern France.
Naive in construction and execution, untouched condition, not ruined by restoration.
Circa 1810 to 1825.
New Old Stock (NOS)
H81 W: 43 D: 2.5 CM