The East Harling Lamb
Over life sized, weathered and naturally patinated carved oak, remarkable realism to the surface flow of the wool across the body.
Originally created by the 1st East Harling Boy Scouts Group to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.
Carved by rover scout Mr Harold Clarke and designed by scout master Mr W. Bates. The lamb was a gift by the cub and scout group to the village and became the villages sign, it signifies the importance of East Harling to the wool trade and its historical links to its large sheep market and the textile industry.
In 2006 the sign was replaced due to deterioration caused by the weather but the lamb was saved.
A remarkable piece of 20th century British folk art.
English, East Harling, Norfolk, 1950s.
Many thanks to Mrs Mary Leah, daughter of Harold Clarke for the historical information and newspaper articles.
H:69 W:25 W:84 CM
H:27 W:9.9 D:33 INCHES