Drew Pritchard Ltd

APP UPDATE AVAILABLE

To continue using the Drew Pritchard App,
please update to the latest version via
your app store.

DOWNLOAD THE APP
01492 685334 / 01492 580890
NEWSLETTER
Cart 0

A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes

A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes
A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes

A Pair of Plaster Grecian Sphinxes

Ref: 15926

Sold.

A pair of painted plaster sphinxes.

Each with its hair tied in a chignon, a crescent to the front, with an elaborate saddle-cloth draped over its back, on rectangular bases, both bearing the COADE LAMBETH impressed mark to the plinth.

Early 20th century.

Price is for the pair.

H:80 W:40 D:102 CM

H:31.5 W:15.8 D:40 INCHES

Eleanor Coade's 'Artificial Stone Manufactory' was established at King's Arms Stairs, Lambeth in 1769. Eleanor Coade was one of a handful of independent women in the eighteenth century who began their own businesses and managed them successfully. The business produced sculpture and decorative architectural ornament in a material - today referred to as 'Coade' stone - which could be cast in complex forms and which was highly resistant to damage from the elements. Heraldic animals were popular ornaments for the gate-piers of aristocratic homes and for this purpose the Coade factory produced the present Grecian Sphinxes of female form with a female head adorned with a small tiara, with a voluptuous bosom, and a leonine body covered with a embroidered saddlecloth. Nine other pairs have been located of this model (I. Roscoe ed., A Biographical Dictionary of Sculptors in Britain 1660-1851, 2009, p. 287), including at Trent Park, Hertfordshire (1785), Callender House, Falkirk (circa 1787-8), Croome Court, Worcestershire (1795) which were probably purchased by James Wyatt for the gardens, Tullynally House, Ireland (by 1799) and Gosford House, Lothian (circa 1800